Your skin may show signs of aging by your 40s and 50s. It may lose firmness and fine lines and wrinkles may begin to appear. There may be changes in complexion as well. But you can maintain and even improve your appearance with these anti-aging skin care tips, many of which are beneficial for your overall health too.
Stay Protected from the Sun
- Use sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (at least SPF 30), especially one with moisturizers and antioxidants.
- Stay in the shade between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. when the sun’s rays are at their most intense.
- Cover up with pants, long sleeves, a wide-brimmed hat, and even gloves; sunglasses can protect the skin around your eyes.
Also, avoid tanning beds and sun lamps. Indoor tanning is just as harmful when it comes to UV light exposure.
Follow Healthy Skin Care Routines
If you do the following every day, you can delay the effects of aging:
- Moisturize: As you age, fewer skin oils are produced, so your skin is drier. Applying moisturizer, especially one with glycerin, hyaluronic, and other water-binding compounds, can rehydrate your skin. Moisture can fill fine lines and wrinkles naturally.
- Wash regularly: Your skin should be free of dirt and grime. Wash your face with warm water and a mild cleanser twice a day. Avoid scrubbing, since it can easily irritate your skin and spur on the effects of aging. Gentle, circular motions are the best way to rinse.
- Use anti-aging serums gently: The same goes for those anti-aging products. Look for those with retinoids and vitamin C; and pat them on gently. When used properly, these can boost collagen production and reverse oxidative stress.
- Exfoliate: Your skin does this naturally, but more slowly with age, creating rough patches and cracks and dulling your complexion. Chemical and physical exfoliants can help, but avoid harsh ones like those with beads. A soft sponge or washcloth should be used for exfoliation.
Eat Healthy Foods
Eating the right foods is one of the most important healthy skin tips. Foods with protein are best. These include fish, beans, and lean meats. Protein helps maintain collagen, and don’t forget your fruits and vegetables. Vitamin C can help your skin look youthful, while lycopene in tomatoes is an antioxidant that protects against sunburn and sun damage.
Omega 3 fatty acids help moisturize the skin. They’re found in salmon, sardines, oysters, and other types of seafood as well as in walnuts and soybeans. Fish oil and flaxseed oil supplements contain omega 3’s as well.
Excessive sugar and carbohydrates break down glucose in the body, which can cause you to age faster. Also, alcohol can dehydrate your skin, which doesn’t help if you want a youthful look.
Other Anti-Aging Skin Care Tips
If you smoke, here’s another reason to quit. Toxins in tobacco smoke can make your skin dry, duller, and less firm. Lines and wrinkles may form prematurely and your skin may become leathery. And get enough sleep. Much of your natural skin renewal and rejuvenation happens when you are sleeping.
For information on the safest and most effective skin rejuvenation solutions in Southern California, call the Laser & Dermatology Institute today at one of our three locations— LDI of Los Angeles, LDI of Covina, LDI of Newport Beach.